Breckenridge, Colorado, or ‘Breck’ as locals and regular visitors know it, is one of the best mountain towns in Colorado with the most chill vibe around. From its stunning mountain views to its vintage charm, you’re guaranteed to enjoy your time when you come here. The energy in Breck is like no other – both thrilling and inspirational – and the spirit of the community radiates adventure. More than anywhere else, Breck welcomes you with open arms and ensures that your experience will be complete with lasting memories.
As you first make your way into the picturesque Colorado mountain town of Breck, the unmistakable Five Peaks tower in the sky.
Part of Colorado’s famed Ten Mile Range, this majestic mountain range features Peaks 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 that extends southward from the Rockies to offer a breathtaking view.
In wintertime, its slopes are home to 180 trails for skiing or snowboarding while summertime lures thrill-seekers to Peak 8 for thrilling activities like climbing walls and ropes courses to alpine slides and zip lines.
Visitors to Breckenridge have it easy when it comes to skiing. With an abundance of slopeside accommodations, accessing the mountain is as simple as stepping out your door. Ski-to-town trails make this connection even more convenient, providing a direct route down from the top of North America’s highest chairlift directly into town.
Main Street in Breckenridge is a charming stroll through history, with over 200 shops and restaurants lining the picturesque Victorian-style buildings. The backdrop of the Five Peaks of the ski area adds an even more beautiful touch to this renaissance of modernity and tradition.
Top your night off by taking in some of Breck’s vibrant, but chill nightlife with bars, clubs, dancing, and live music – perfect for when you’re up for an adventure after skiing!
This Breckenridge quick guide will streamline your planning with everything you need to know, where to stay, and what to eat and do in Breckenridge. Happy Travels!
Mountain Towns in Colorado–The Best and Most Beautiful. The Guide Here!
Getting to Breckenridge
Closest Airport to Breckenridge: Denver International Airport is the closest (and most cost-efficient option to Breckenridge. Denver to Breckenridge is 80.6 miles, and 1 hour and 29 minutes drive.
I always recommend a rental car in Denver versus a shuttle or private car. Denver is a fun town to explore, and grab a drink or have dinner. To save time at the rental car lot, do yourself a favor and sign up for Budget Fastbreak.
You book ahead of time, put in all your information, and grab your keys and paperwork at a kiosk. It’s our favorite travel resource. Plus, when heading up the Colorado mountains, there are so many in-between towns worth exploring. Breckenridge is in close proximity to some of the best Colorado mountain towns like Vail, Keystone, Copper Canyon, and Glenwood Springs.
However, if you are just staying in Breckenridge, which is a highly walkable town, there is a free bus system to take you from one end to the other. Download the app and plan your rides for the Breck Free Ride here.
Additionally, there is the Epic Mountain Express shuttle either private or shared depending on your budget. You can find rates and schedules for the Epic Mountain Express here.
Private car transfers are also an option. You can arrange a round-trip car or van to pick you Denver Airport. To book your private car or van, you can find the best rates here.
Best Place to Stay in Breckenridge
- The Ranahan by Vacation Club Rentals. Whether you’re looking for a romantic weekend getaway or an unforgettable family vacation, the Ranahan by Vacation Club Rentals is Breck’s newest luxury accommodations. Ranch-style accommodations feature cozy balconies and fireplaces (ideal for relaxing after a day on the slopes!), plus fully equipped kitchens so you’re just a few steps away from delicious home-cooked meals. Not to mention all of the incredible amenities — lavish indoor/outdoor pool, hot tubs, indoor water slide, play area with a splash pad for kids, Blue River Bar and Lounge with pool table and shuffleboard games, fitness center with Pelotons, BBQ stations ideal for entertaining.
- One Ski Hill, A RockResort. The stunning luxury condominiums at One Ski Hill Place, A RockResort in Breckenridge, Colorado offer a convenient and luxurious ski experience. Situated at the base of Peak 8, skiers will enjoy the ease and convenience of being just steps away from the BreckConnect Gondola that connects to Peak 7, allowing them direct access to world-class skiing with views of the soaring mountains. Thanks to its ski-in and ski-out location, unparalleled mountain views, and high-quality lodging accommodations.
- Gravity Haus Breckenridge is the perfect destination for adventurers and explorers looking to experience luxury and comfort in the Rockies. Located on historic Main Street, Gravity Haus is customized to ensure every guest experiences relaxation during their stay. Gravity Haus, a boutique hotel, boasts sixty beautifully curated rooms equipped with modern outdoor amenities and comforts. If you are traveling with family, Gravity Haus has a fantastic family room with queen bunks.
Things to do in Breckenridge CO
- Of course, Breckenridge is known for its amazing skiing and slopes, But which Peak piques your interest and level? Explore 5 peaks, 2908 skiable acres, and 187 trails at Breckenridge Ski Resort. You can find all five peaks and descriptions here.
- Gold Runner Alpine Coaster. Located at the base of Peak 8, ride 2,500 feet down the mountain on the Breckenridge Gold Runner Coaster. Tickets can be purchased at the Peak 8 box office.
- Breckenridge in summer is just as fun and adventurous as in winter. Head to Peak 8 for Epic Discovery. Ride one of the Breck gondolas up the mountain for a combination of scenic, family-friendly, and thrill-seeking outdoor activities designed to immerse guests in Breck’s High Alpine environment. Alpine slide, pan for gold and gems, alpine challenge course, bungee trampoline, rock climb, mini golf, and much more.
- Mountain Top Children’s Museum. Provides hands-on exhibits and family fun to help promote learning, and imaginative play in active experiences through art and science. The Mountain Top Childrens Museum also has an amazing “kid’s night out” program to check out!
- Ski-bike. Afraid of skiing and snowboarding but still want to hit the slopes? Try ski-biking!
- Hikes near Breckenridge. Breck has beginner to advanced hiking trails. Trollstigen (a.k.a. the Breckenridge troll hike) is an easy, family-friendly hike featuring the famous Breck Troll, a.k.a. Isak Heartstone. Isak is a 15-foot-tall wooden troll sculpture created by Danish artist Thomas Dambo. The Horseshoe Bowl Loop, hop on the Colorado SuperChair and head 11,000 square feet above sea level where you can see the town below and surrounding mountains. You can find all the magnificent hikes in Breckenridge here!
- Extreme Sledding. If you are looking to take an adrenaline-filled adventure, look no further! Extreme sledding in Breckenridge should be at the top of your list. Once you complete a quick training lesson, you can soar down Country Boy Mine three times, experiencing the classic alpine tradition at its finest. Take advantage of this unique opportunity and feel the rush of cool Colorado mountain wind on your face as you fly past snow-covered trees and thrilling jumps. Enjoy the traditional sledding experience like when you were a kid, only amplified to the extreme.
- Fat Tire Bikes. Come explore the beautiful snowy landscape of Colorado on a fat bike and beer tour. Whether you’re an experienced cyclist or a casual rider, no experience is necessary for this 2-to-3-hour adventure – enjoy an easy ride aboard a comfy fat bike. Follow your knowledgeable guide on a 4-mile journey along freshly groomed trails, experiencing all that nature has to offer. And once your journey is complete, refuel with some delicious craft beers from Broken Compass Craft Brewery and Breckenridge Distillery.
- Have an Alpine Wine Experience at Carboy Winery. When you’re looking for a unique way to Apres Ski, it’s hard to beat Carboy Winery Breckenridge. Located at 9,600 feet above sea level, our tasting room provides a truly unforgettable alpine experience like no other. Surrounded by the history of the Gold Rush and part of the infamous Gold Pan Saloon on Main Street, this is the perfect spot to kick back after a long day on the slopes.
- There’s nothing quite like the beauty of fall in Breckenridge Colorado. A few weeks earlier than other places around the country, vibrant aspens become scattered across the high peaks, providing an incredible backdrop for hikers, bikers, and anyone looking to enjoy a relaxing stroll through this awe-inspiring landscape. Fall colors range from golden yellows to bright oranges and reds, making for some unforgettable mountain scenery throughout the city and beyond.
- Stroll Historic Main Street. Main Street in Breckenridge is a colorful Victorian architecture adventure filled with boutique shops, coffee shops, restaurants, breweries, and distilleries.
- Take a tour of the gold mines. Before Breckenridge was a bonafide ski town, it was a gold mining town almost 150 years ago. Find a historic tour of Breckenridge, a gold mining tour where you can pan for gold, or a legendary ghost tour! Find the best tours here.
Where to Eat in Breckenridge
These are our family’s favorite spots to eat in Breckenridge. We have personally frequented these restaurants each time we make our way to Breckenridge!
- Breakfast in Breckenridge: The Butterhorn Bakery & Cafe has been serving customers for over 40 years they have a very comforting and cozy environment. The locals and tourists favor this spot for breakfast, and baked goods. Every recipe is handcrafted from scratch in the kitchen, and they bake their bread and goodies fresh daily. Our favorite is the Eggy Bread French Toast, it’s a must-try! See the Butterhorn menu here!
- Lunch in Breckenridge: The Cheese Shop is a great stop for gourmet cheeses, cured and yummy Parisian-style sandwiches, fancy olive oil, and local jams. Take an amazing charcuterie board with you on the go or back to your place to enjoy by the fire with a glass of wine. See the Cheese Shop of Breckenridge menu here!
- Dinner in Breckenridge: The Canteen Tap House & Tavern is a locally owned restaurant in Breckenridge, Colorado with astonishing modern comfort food, Colorado beer, handcrafted cocktails, and world-class wines. Our favorite is the Mac and cheese with aged sharp cheddar, jack, gruyere, and fontina topped with Cheez-It crumble. See the Canteen Tap House menu here!
- Treats in Breckenridge: Our favorite treat in Breckenridge is Mountian Top Cookie Shop. The baked cookies are fantastic BUT this is what we do. We head into the cookie shop and ask for a chocolate chip cookie dough ball (grab some baked cookies too). Look for a coffee shop in Breckenridge like The Crown, I Scream Gelato Cuppa Joe, etc, and find a plain hot chocolate. You are going to plop that cookie dough right in it. You will thank me later 🙂
Please Share and Pin This Breckenridge Mini Guide Below! We Appreciate it!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission if a qualified link is used at no cost or obligation to you ever. Additionally, I am an Amazon Affiliate Partner. I may receive a commission if a qualifying link is used.