Grapevine, Texas, is known as the Christmas Capital of Texas©. It is the most magical, charming, small town in Texas to spend your holidays. If you are looking for a holiday staycation in Texas or traveling to Texas during this time, we recommend you spend Christmas in Grapevine! Grapevine boasts a wealth of adult and family activities to get you in the holiday spirit.
This cute small town in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex is decked out head to toe in twinkling lights, festive markets, Christmas wine events, and a live North Pole Express train. There is something for everyone in this wonderfully enchanted town during (and after) the holiday season.
Every year we head to Grapevine for their Christmas festivities. We will share the best activities and traditions our family does each year in Grapevine TX during Christmas.
I will start this post at the south end of Grapevine and work our way up north, ending at Gaylord Texan; it is your complete guide to Christmas in Grapevine, The Christmas Capital of Texas©.
Christmas In Texas-The Most Festive Towns
We recommend all the activities and things to do in Grapevine that are near and dear to our family traditions. Happy Holidays!
A Grapevine Main Street Christmas
Grapevine’s downtown historic Main Street is filled with holiday cheer, Christmas lights galore, are countless activities and things to do in Grapevine. Each Grapevine shop, restaurant, and market is intricately decorated for the season.
What to do on historic Main Street during Christmas in Grapevine:
- Shop all the holiday stores lining historic Main Street. There are several shops for filling your holiday gift list. Good Things for All Seasons (above photo) is so beautifully decorated and is filled with holiday decorations and treasures.
- See Santa at the Texas General Store. This store is one of the best decorated in all of Grapevine. Lights cover this shop, you cannot miss it!
- Get a candy or caramel apple at Kilwins Chocolates and Confections.
- Shop at the Grapevine Christmas Market. Shop local produce, gifts, baked-goods, jewelry and hand-crafted items at this open-air market at Grapevine Town Square Gazebo. On most weekends in November and December 2pm-9pm.
Stay at Hotel Vin for a Romantic Holiday-Filled Getaway
Hotel Vin Grapevine is a must-stay if you are traveling solo or looking for a romantic getaway in Texas. This is my favorite hotel in Grapevine, and it sits right at the main entrance of downtown Grapevine on Main Street. This boutique hotel is gorgeously decorated for the holidays. During the holidays at Hotel Vin:
- Reserve a dining bubble on the Rioja Rooftop Terrace. Get cozy in your own literal bubble with blankets, heaters and a glass of wine. Push a button, and service is at your fingertips.
- Take your pick of globally inspired kitchens at Harvest Hall. This European-inspired food hall contains seven kitchens so everyone in your party leaves happy.
- Have brunch at Bacchus Kitchen + Bar. An insider tip: If you are brunching on a Saturday 11am to 2pm, ask for “Carl” a hot chocolate confection brought to your table for an extra special experience (your kids will love this, too).
- Take a ride up to the Hotel Vin Observatory in the evening hours and see all of Grapevine Christmas lights lit up in its Christmas glory. You can find the box office for the observatory in Harvest Hall.
- Have a boozy hot chocolate by the warm fireplace while listening to live music in the lounge.
Other highly suggested hotels in Grapevine Texas:
Budget: Holiday Inn Express. Free airport shuttle, convenient for families, one mile to Grapevine Main Street action.
Midrange: Hilton DFW Lakes. Restaurants on-site, family-friendly with outdoor dedicated playground, near DFW airport, two miles to Main Street Grapevine, and six outdoor tennis courts. Grapevine Mills Mall is within walking distance.
Resort Style: The famous Gaylord Texan. Filled with Christmas cheer. Great for adults and children. Resort amenities, restaurants, activities, and a shuttle to Main Street Grapevine. Additionally, if you are traveling with children, Great Wolf Lodge is a great option for indoor waterparks and activities.
Hotel Vin Plaza
As you head out of Hotel Vin to Grapevine’s Main Street, you will leave Harvest Hall straight out. Here you will find the gorgeous Hotel Vin Plaza. Live music and festivities are sometimes thrown here on The Plaza and are the entrance to all of Grapevine’s Christmas activities.
Any time of the day and night, you will find these giant Christmas present boxes with different sceneries on the inside for the best photo opportunities in Grapevine. This year we did them (they are free, first-come, first-serve), and they are lots of fun.
Texas Travel Tip: The boxes are not crowded during the day or early morning to take a ton of photos or do outfit changes.
Ride the North Pole Express
The most popular attraction in Grapevine during Christmas is the North Pole Express. Please get your tickets early for this adventure because the tickets sell out fast.
The Grapevine Vintage Railroad’s North Pole Express© is located at the Cotton Belt Railroad Historic District, directly behind Hotel Vin and Main Street.
You and your kids can join Ms. Claus on a journey to get Santa to the Christmas Capital of Texas. Guests will receive a fresh-baked cookie, a Frosty Chocolate Snow Milk, and a special visit from Santa on board the train.
Take a Christmas Wine Train
The Grapevine Christmas Wine Trains take you on a fun journey and are beautifully decorated in holiday cheer for you to relax. You will have a few savory hors d’oeuvres and/or a hot dinner (dessert included) and fine Grapevine wine.
The Grapevine Christmas Village
Directly in front of the Grapevine Vintage Railroad is the Grapevine Christmas Village. This magical spot is filled with family and adult activities (there is no fee to enter the village, nor do you need a railroad ticket. Some activities do require an admission fee):
- Get an Elf Adventure Passport and explore Grapevine’s enchanting past and creating your own handmade projects to take home.
- Purchase a live Christmas tree at Grapevine’s Christmas tree lot.
- Take photos with Santa, presented by Amazon
- Visit Millican’s Blacksmith Shop.
- Decorate your own ornament inside the Forman House.
- Take amazing holiday photos all around the village.
- See works of art at Vetro Glassblowing Studio and Holder Dane Gallery & Art Studios.
- Grab a cup of hot cocoa and treat at the concessions cottage.
Visit Historic Torain Log Cabin
At the northwest end of Main Street, the historic 1845 Torian Cabin and the park surrounding this structure are decorated with sparkling lights and many holiday photo opportunities, free of charge.
Several decorated Christmas trees, props, sleighs, and light structures will have some Instagram-able holiday photos in no time!
You can watch the outdoor light show on the Grapevine City Hall building directly across the street as you are at Torian Cabin.
Watch Classic Christmas Movies at Palace Arts Center
The Palace Arts Center is a restored art-deco-style theatre that holds the Palace Theatre and the Lancaster Theatre. The Palace Theatre has classic Christmas movies playing throughout the holiday season in Grapevine.
Classic Christmas movies are played at the Palace, such as Frosty the Snowman, Charlie Brown Christmas, Its a Wonderful Life, or Meet Me in St. Louis.
Have a Lonestar Christmas at the Gaylord Texan Grapevine
Want to add more magic to Christmas in Grapevine? How about a Lone Star Christmas? If you’re looking for a bit of Texas-sized Christmas cheer, bring your holiday traditions to life at the Gaylord Texan Resort in Grapevine.
This holiday hotspot offers dozens of activities, from towering Christmas trees to festive family activities, all with a Lone Star twist.
There’s something for everyone at this winter wonderland, especially for kids:
- Explore acres of immersive lights, trees, and holiday decorations.
- Make a gingerbread house of your own.
- Ice skate at Gaylord’s six thousand-square foot indoor ice rink, made with real ice.
- Ride a magical Christmas Carousel.
- Go indoor snow tubing on two million pounds of snow.
- Build your own snowman complete with accessories.
- Have breakfast with Christmas characters.
Have a Historic Victorian Christmas at Nash Farms
Nash Farms in Grapevine is not located on Main Street but just down the road. This working farm is home to a Victorian Christmas in Grapevine and worth visiting.
Nash Farms decorates the original 1869 farmhouse, historic barn, and other structures for the holidays. Admission is free, and you can wander around the grounds and do a self-guided tour of the farmhouse. See sheep, livestock, turkeys, chickens, and field crops.
During the holiday season, Nash Farms has special Victorian Christmas traditions, including Christmas cookie baking and decorating, tours, and a parlor sociable.
Christmas in Grapevine TX
This charming town is such a classic holiday experience if you live in Texas or come to the Lone Star state on vacation. Christmastime is a particularly magical time to visit, but the grapevine, year-round, is a fabulous town for a getaway in Texas.
Our family loves Grapevine, and we genuinely believe you will embrace and fall in love with its small-town charm, too. If you have any questions or planning a trip to Texas, we would love to hear from you! There is something for everyone, and you will never run out of activities.
- The Best Places to Eat in Grapevine, From a Local!
- 7 Reasons to Love Hotel Vin Grapevine
- Christmas in Texas, 8 Places for a Festive Holiday
- Magical Winter Wonderlands To Escape This Season
This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a very small commission if the link is used at no cost or obligation to you, ever.
Comments are closed.