The Cotswolds

The Strange Afterlife of Katherine Parr: A Tudor Queen’s Lost Grave

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

The story of Katherine Parr’s burial is one of the strangest in Tudor history — a tale of a queen twice-widowed, four-times-married, who outlived Henry VIII only to be quietly laid to rest, then almost entirely forgotten. When she died at Sudeley Castle in September 1548, days after giving birth, Katherine was buried with full honours in the castle’s St Mary’s Church, the last resting place befitting a Queen of England.

But history had other plans.

As the chapel fell to ruin during the Civil War, her grave slipped out of memory altogether — lost, overgrown, and unmarked for more than two centuries. What happened when it was finally rediscovered in 1782 is where her afterlife takes a genuinely macabre turn.

The Strange Afterlife of Katherine Parr: How Henry VIII’s Last Wife Lost Her Grave for 234 Years

On a warm afternoon in May 1782, three women on a sightseeing day trip walked into the roofless ruins of a chapel in the Cotswolds and accidentally found a queen of England.

They were poking around the wreckage of St Mary’s Chapel at Sudeley Castle, which by then had been a ruin for nearly 140 years. Slighted by Cromwell, looted by locals for stone, the pews long gone, ivy growing through the windows. One of the women noticed a block of alabaster set into the north wall and wondered aloud whether it had once been part of a monument. They convinced a farmer named John Lucas to dig beneath it.

About two feet down, his spade hit lead.

Who She Was

Historical portrait of Katherine Parr in a red and gold Tudor gown with pearl headdress, the sixth wife of Henry VIII whose burial lies at St Mary's Church, Sudeley Castle.
Portrait of Katherine Parr, c. 1545, via National Portrait Gallery / Wikimedia Commons

This post may contain affiliate links. If you book or buy through them, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend places and products I genuinely love. Thank you for supporting Small Towns Big City!

To understand what happens next, you need to know Katherine Parr.

Born around 1512, she was the sixth and last wife of Henry VIII, and the only one to survive him. (The rhyme: divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. She’s survived.)

Smart, devout, a Protestant intellectual who published her own theological writings in English under her own name, which was almost unheard of for a Tudor woman, let alone a queen.

When Henry died in January 1547, Katherine, at last free to marry for love, wed her old flame Thomas Seymour, Edward VI’s ambitious uncle, four months later.

In June 1548, eight months pregnant, she moved with Seymour to Sudeley Castle in Gloucestershire, accompanied by an entourage of more than 120 staff and her young ward, the future Nine Days’ Queen, Lady Jane Grey, then aged eleven.

She had less than three months left to live.

Find charming Winchcombe Cottages for the perfect Cotswolds and Sudeley Castle stay HERE

A Fast and Quiet Funeral

Katherine gave birth to a daughter, Mary, on 30 August 1548. Katherine died of puerperal fever six days later, on the morning of 5 September.

She was thirty-six years old.

Her funeral was held two days later, and it was historically extraordinary.

It was the first Protestant funeral of an English queen, the first royal funeral in England conducted entirely in English rather than Latin, and it was over almost before it began.

No effigy, no lying in state, no royal procession.

Katherine was wrapped in waxed linen, sealed inside a lead coffin, and quietly buried inside the chapel of St Mary, within sight of the room where she had died.

Lady Jane Grey, age eleven, served as chief mourner.

Thomas Seymour was executed for treason six months later. Their daughter Mary was placed with the Dowager Duchess of Suffolk and then vanished from the historical record at age two. Her fate has never been resolved.

For the next century, Katherine slept undisturbed.

Then the Civil War arrived.

234 Years of Being Lost

In 1644, Parliamentary forces bombarded Sudeley. Cromwell ordered the castle slighted, partly demolished so it couldn’t be used militarily again. The roof of St Mary’s Chapel collapsed. The walls cracked. The pews rotted.

Within a generation, ivy had eaten the building. Sheep grazed in the nave. The chapel’s function was so completely lost that locals used the ruin as a rabbit warren.

Katherine’s grave, never marked with anything more than the alabaster panel in the wall, was forgotten by the people who lived a mile away in Winchcombe. The castle changed hands. The new owners knew, vaguely, that Henry VIII’s widow was buried somewhere on the grounds. Nobody could say where.

She lay there, in her sealed lead coffin, for 234 years.

The Discovery

A fragment of gold and black needlework believed to have been cut from Katherine Parr's tomb when her burial was first reopened in the 18th century.

So, back to that warm day in May 1782.

When John Lucas pried the lid off the lead coffin, the women behind him were expecting at most bones. What he uncovered instead was, for a few seconds, Katherine Parr almost perfectly preserved. Her skin was described as white and still moist. Her features were intact. Her eyes, contemporary accounts insist, were open. Her hair was still golden.

Then the air hit the cerecloth and the queen began to decay in front of them.

Framed portrait miniatures of Tudor figures displayed near Katherine Parr's burial exhibit at Sudeley Castle
Miniatures and a lock of Catherine Parr’s hair

Horrified, they covered the coffin back over. But Lucas and this is the part of the story that genuinely doesn’t reflect well on the eighteenth century had already pocketed a few souvenirs. A piece of fabric from her dress. A lock of her hair. A tooth.

These objects are now back at Sudeley, on display in the castle’s exhibitions.

Yes, really. You can go and see them, and I stared too long at them.

A display case of Katherine Parr relics, including one of the queen's teeth removed in the late 18th century, a "KP" mourning locket, and a coral-beaded hair reliquary preserving strands of her actual hair.

Sudeley Castle With Kids for a family day out

The Hundred-Year Disturbance

What followed was nearly a century of disrespect.

The coffin was opened again in 1783 by the steward of Lord Rivers, who wanted to see for himself. By 1784, the face had decayed further; a visitor noted that the queen had been wearing not a shroud but a fine dress, and that her shoes were still on her feet.

In 1786, three antiquarians including the Reverend Treadway Nash opened the coffin again and found her face “totally decayed” and her teeth fallen out.

The worst chapter came in 1792, when a group of intoxicated men dug up the coffin, removed and abused the remains, and reburied the casket upside down in a hidden walled grave.

Over the following decades, ivy roots penetrated the lead and filled what was left.

When the chapel was finally repaired in 1817, workmen rediscovered the inverted coffin and transferred what remained of the queen, by that point reduced to bones and a small quantity of hair, into the sealed stone vault of the Chandos family, the castle’s 17th-century owners.

She had been moved more times in death than most people are in life.

A Resting Place at Last

The ornate Gothic canopied tomb marking Katherine Parr's burial in St Mary's Church at Sudeley Castle, with stained glass windows above the marble effigy.

The white marble effigy of Katherine Parr lying with hands clasped in prayer, marking her burial at St Mary's Church, Sudeley Castle, with a carved angel and Gothic canopy above.

In 1837, the ruined castle was bought by two Worcester glovemakers, John and William Dent, who began an extensive restoration. The chapel work was completed between 1854 and 1863 under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott, the celebrated Victorian Gothic architect who also designed London’s Albert Memorial and the front of St Pancras Station.

For Katherine, Scott designed a neo-Gothic canopied tomb of pale marble. The recumbent effigy was carved by John Birnie Philip, who had worked beside Scott on the Albert Memorial. Set into the stonework around her are the coats of arms of all four of Katherine Parr’s husbands, including the king whom she outlived, briefly, and the king’s widow-marrying uncle, who died on the scaffold.

She has lain there, undisturbed, since 1861.

Our Top Tours and Activities in the Cotswolds England HERE!

Where to Find Her

Sudeley Castle St Mary's Chapel, the honey-coloured Gothic church where Katherine Parr is buried, rising above clipped topiary hedges, lavender and a rose arch under a bright blue Cotswolds sky.

Katherine Parr’s tomb sits on the north side of the chancel of St Mary’s Chapel, in the gardens of Sudeley Castle, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire.

The chapel is small, intimate, and Grade I listed. Now part of the parish of Winchcombe, services are held a handful of times a year; the rest of the time it is yours to walk into, quietly, included with a standard castle ticket.

If you stand at the foot of the tomb for a moment, the silence in St Mary’s is one of the strangest sensations in any English heritage site.

Outside, somewhere in the gardens, you can usually hear children on the adventure playground.

Inside, you’re standing two metres from the only English queen who is buried on private land, beneath the marble effigy of a face the world hasn’t actually seen in two hundred and forty-four years.

Sudeley regulars will sometimes mention that a tall lady in a green dress has been seen in the upstairs corridors of the castle, and that the smell of apples is said to precede her.

Visiting? Read our full guide to Sudeley Castle for history, gardens, exhibits, and practical info, or Sudeley Castle With Kids for the family-trip version.

Queen Katherine Parr burial mystery — the story of Henry VIII's last wife, her lost grave at Sudeley Castle, and the strange afterlife of a Tudor queen. Katherine Parr history, Tudor England, Sudeley Castle.
save for later or shar

Comments are closed.

Pin It