There’s nothing quite like packing your bags and hitting the road – especially when you’re armed with all the right travel essentials. If you’re a woman who likes to be prepared for any adventure, read on for our top picks of must-have items for travel. From comfy shoes to on-the-go skin care, these are the things that will make your journey a whole lot easier (and more stylish). So grab your passport and get ready for take-off – we’re about to show you travel essentials for women for an unforgettable trip.
Travel Essentials for Women-A Fantastic Weekender
With so many different options of weekender bags for women out there, it’s hard to know which one will suit your needs the best. But don’t worry – I have narrowed it down to the three absolute best.
If you need more options you can find the best carry-on bags for women HERE!
Whether you’re looking for a stylish weekender bag or a versatile piece of luggage, we’ve got you covered. Read on to find the perfect carry-on bag for your next adventure!
Travel essentials for women should always include a fantastic weekender bag. These are the top three picks from super affordable, mid to high.
- Affordable Weekender. Looking for a carry-on compliant travel bag that is spacious and easy to organize? Look no further than this affordable and stylish carry-on weekender. This waterproof duffel features three internal organizational pockets and four external pockets, making it the perfect overnight bag for women. Best part? It is under $25 and comes in twenty-six colors.
- Open Story Weekender. This bag is the perfect size for a short weekend trip. It’s well-designed and good quality, with a five-year warranty with enough pockets to keep your things organized. This weekender bag can also be easily stored under the seat on most airlines.
- Beis Weekender. This super popular, roomy, water-resistant canvas tote is perfect for organizing everything you need for short trips. The bag features plenty of interior and exterior pockets, a laptop sleeve, and a separate bottom compartment for your shoes. An optional crossbody strap makes going hands-free easy and convenient.
Women’s Travel Essentials
Priority and Necessity
Women’s travel essentials don’t stop at items to pack. These items are food-for-thought for your travels. These are ideas to make your trip as smooth as possible, even if there are a few hiccups.
- Passport or license copies. I always keep a copy of my passport and/or license in a separate bag from the originals. I also take a picture of them on my phone. I lost my license before boarding a flight and it saved me a lot of hassle to show them my printed copies.
- Have an extra portable phone charger. If you are out exploring and being a tourist, hiking, or even on a road trip, a portable charger ready to go and charged is a must. These little lifesavers have saved me a couple of times before, like walking around a city with nowhere to charge a phone, on the tarmac when a plane wouldn’t take off, and at Disneyland with my kids.
- I also carry an anti-theft backpack with a phone charger. They have come a long way to look stylish and not so bulky. They have tons of compartments, lock, and hold a laptop. If I am going to visit family or go on a road trip, a Jansport Backpack is my go-to. They have always been durable and they fit a whole bunch.
- In my carry-on, I put some unconventional items “just in case.” I always carry small baby wipes, an extra set of clothes, an extra pair of underwear, compact tampons, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and my makeup. I carry my makeup with me, not because of vanity but because the cost to replace it would be more than I would like to spend, and underwear because if I am stuck at an airport overnight, well, you know.
- I always bring a wrap or a fleece blanket and an extra large sweatshirt. I don’t know about you, but I freeze on the plane. I can also roll them up and use them as a pillow.
- A travel pillow. I personally do not like travel neck pillows, so if I am going for a road trip or a long flight, I bring along these little travel pillows. They are the perfect (and cute) size. They stuff down in my bag great, too.
- I set up Apple Pay or my digital Wells Fargo Card which is separate from the card that I am traveling with. I also carry an extra credit card to put in the hotel safe just in case. If you lose your main cards, you have a backup.
- I make sure all my emergency contacts in my phone are up to date. I travel solo a lot, and I feel this is important for anyone.
- Tummy stuff. I get altitude sickness. In the air on a plane and in mountains. Imagine a bag of chips as you go up a mountain. The bag expands and expands. That is what happens to my stomach. As unpleasant to talk about, I ALWAYS carry Gas-X on a plane and traveling. I pop a couple before my plane ride. Otherwise, I am uncomfortable for days with a bloated belly. I also bring tums and anti-diarrhea medications. You never know.
- If you’re traveling to a foreign country, be sure to research the local customs and dress code before packing your bags. In some cultures, it’s considered disrespectful for women to show too much skin, so it’s best to err on the side of caution and pack clothes that cover your shoulders and knees. A scarf can also be handy for covering your head when entering holy sites or places of worship.
- If you are traveling across the pond, don’t forget a travel plug outlet adapter! Your blow dryer, phone chargers, and curling rods will not work without one.
- I purchased a camera for traveling. I am still learning to use it but as great as iPhone photos come out, I like the clear and crisp photos of a mirrorless camera (even though I am not a professional) I found one that is light and compact, but it is not cheap. But I love it and am happy I invested. The best part, I have a new hobby and am learning something new.
List of Must-Haves
Traveling can be a great way to explore new places and experience different cultures. When packing for a trip, there are a few essential travel items that every woman should bring along. With these travel essentials, you’ll be prepared for anything that comes your way on your travels.
- Travel convenience kit. I recently discovered these convenience kits for traveling. They have everything you possibly need and you can just throw them in your bag, TSA-compliant, and go. They have every travel essential for women and/or men. Buying one of these seems practical and more affordable than buying all travel toiletries individually. I always purchase this travel convenience kit, because it has everything I use daily.
- Travel Container Kits. If you like to fill all your toiletries yourself, invest in a better-quality travel bottle travel set. Bring your favorite beauty products on the road, whether you’re a frequent jet setter or just an occasional flyer. Kitsch sells a really cool, refillable travel kit for all your loved products.
- Perfume Travel Roller. I love travel perfume sprays and rollers for long and short trips. They come in small sizes, and pretty bottles and there are a ton to choose from. These petite perfumes are the perfect travel essentials for women AND for a purse accessory for everyday use.
- Perfume Atomizer Bottle. If you have a particular perfume that you want to take along on your travels, a Perfume Atomizer is a woman’s travel essential you must have. Plus, they are refillable, portable, and the perfect size.
- Comfortable Shoes. If you will be doing a lot of walking and tourist stuff, make sure you have a pair of shoes that are comfortable and offer good support. I travel to NYC often, and these shoes have always helped me stay comfortable. Avoid heels or open-toed shoes. While going through the airport, I get these cute slip-on shoes for easy-on-and-off. I also wear no-show socks through security. If you are bare-footed, make sure you have a pair of socks handy and in your purse going through security.
- Foldable Shoes. Foldable shoes you say? If you are wearing your high heels for a night out on the town (especially a party vacation, think Vegas, or Miami) you need foldable shoes to put in your purse. These fold up and are a relief to slip on after hours in heels. Please don’t walk around barefoot. these foldable shoes are SO good!
- Travel Shoe bags. I like these for a few reasons, 1) they keep your shoes contained and hold them in your luggage so they don’t scratch. 2) Most importantly, they keep your dirty shoes off your clean clothes and other items in your luggage. 3) They are waterproof. Ever have an explosion of shampoo in your luggage? Clothes you can throw in the wash, but your shoes are a little harder to clean.
>> Apple AirTag <<
The Apple Airtag is a travel essential for women that provides peace of mind while they travel alone or want to easily find their belongings. The AirTag itself is easy to set up and slip into luggage or clothing, and its communication with the Find My Network is anonymous and encrypted for privacy.
This means location data and history are never stored on the AirTag, helping to protect your travel items from getting lost. Through the Find My app, you can keep track and find your items easily alongside friends and devices.
For solo travelers, it’s a great tool for providing an extra level of safety by slipping into a shoe or clothing while out exploring and sharing your tag with a friend far away.
- Foldable Travel Jewelry Case. I personally do not like bulky cosmetic cases and want my packable items to be as compact and convenient as possible. A foldable travel jewelry case is an essential travel item if you love accessorizing. I ordered one of these portable, foldable travel jewelry cases for my mom. She travels with lots of jewelry and LOVES it.
- Pill Case. I have a dedicated pill case just for traveling. I can plan ahead and add all my medications. I love this ultra-slim travel pill case to bring on my carry-on.
- Travel blow-dryer. A mini-blow dryer is one of my favorite travel essentials for women. I love mine and it takes up little space in my luggage.
- A portable sound machine or earplugs. I purchased a portable baby sound machine because I am a light sleeper and can hear everything, especially in a hotel. These little miracle workers drown out noise for a better night’s sleep.
- Noise Canceling Headphones. Planes are loud, and kids on road trips are loud, it’s just a given while traveling. Noise-canceling headphones are a travel essential item that is a must. Listen to music or drown out plane noise or your chatty neighbor.
- A first aid kit is always a good idea, whether you’re traveling solo, hiking, or on a road trip. You can buy a mini kit for compact packing, or a full-on kit to store in your car. It’s also a good idea to pack a small sewing kit in case you need to make any repairs on the go.
- Laundry Detergent Sheets & Quarters. Yes, quarters. When I travel with kids or I don’t want to pack a ton of clothes, I always book a room with laundry facilities. I bring a little container of quarters I collect in-between trips. I also bring laundry detergent sheets that are a lifesaver and last forever. They are more convenient and less messy than bringing pods or liquid detergent.
>> Kindle Paperwhite <<
The Kindle Paperwhite is perfect, with its lightweight design and portability making it a great companion for all your adventures. Its 6.8-inch display, thinner borders, adjustable warm light, and up to 10 weeks of battery life make it ideal for reading on any journey.
Its flush-front design and 300 ppi glare-free display offer vibrant clarity whether in strong sunlight or at night — plus it’s waterproof!
With Kindle Unlimited you will always have new stories to explore, plus the ability to pair with an Audible Subscription for hands-free listening adds even more versatility. Perfect for travel, the Kindle Paperwhite is a must among women travel essentials.
Must-Have Travel Essential for Women
Travel can be rough on your skin. The change in water and detergents from bedding and towels can be harsh on your skin. Having a good skincare kit for traveling is a must. And remember to stay hydrated! Here are some travel essentials for women to stay fresh and hydrated during travels!
- A good moisturizer for the face. When I travel (and every day) I use Clinique Moisture Surge. I get the Moisture Surge Hydrate Glow Kit which comes with the overnight mask or a moisture mist for a deeper treatment. I will also add a little bio-oil to my face and hand moisturizer at night for extra hydration.
- Speaking of hydration, your skin after and during traveling needs hydration inside and out. We purchase these IV Hydration packets, we find them to be better than the leading brand, and more affordable. If you are planning to drink alcohol, these are fantastic for rehydration and hangovers. Plus, they are small, you can just pop them into your purse or carry-on.
- A really good hand cream. My hands always look extra dehydrated during travel, especially during cold months and desert trips. I found this hand cream to be more suitable for travel, it has no fragrance and is creamy but not greasy.
- Eye patches. These eye patches are great and I have been using them for years. They moisturize, hydrate and de-puff. They are cooling and work on those tired eyes with ease. I promise you will love them. These eye patches are efficient and affordable.
- Your favorite lip balm. I personally love classic Chapstick and I always say if I am stranded on an island, that is what I would bring. I have an addiction. To Chapstick.
Travel Essentials Women-Final Thoughts
These are just a few of the many travel essentials that every woman should consider packing on her next big trip. Of course, every woman’s needs are different, so it’s important to tailor your packing list to fit your own individual style and preferences.
But whether you’re planning a beach vacation or city break, these items should definitely be at the top of your list.
What other travel essentials do you always make sure to pack?
Travel Essentials- More Guides
Carry-On Bags For Women. A further guide for the best of the best travel bags, weekenders, and backpacks for women HERE.
Toddler Travel Essentials: Traveling with toddlers is probably the hardest age group. They are active, loud, and super busybodies. These are travel essentials for a smooth journey with your toddler HERE!
Essentials For Traveling With a Baby: We have everything you need for your tiny traveler HERE.
Best Bag for Disney. Heading to the happiest place on earth? These are the best bags for Disneyland and Disney World HERE.
Toddler Travel Toys: let’s keep that busy-body toddler busy on a plane or road trip HERE.
Travel Backpacks For Toddlers: Does your tiny traveler need their own little backpack for the airplane or a road trip packed with all their fun travel toys and items? We have the nine best to make them feel happy and independent HERE!
Best Backpacks for Moms: We found the most highly-rated backpacks with mom (and dad) in mind, check out the best backpacks for mom HERE!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission if a qualified link is used at no cost or obligation to you ever. Additionally, I am an Amazon Affiliate Partner. I may receive a commission if a qualifying link is used.